Thursday, June 12, 2008

Big Fun Coming to The California Exposition & State Fair


I drove by the California State Fair and Exposition yesterday and they are already advertising their Combo Pass Ticket Package...See Bigfun.org for more information.

Trivia: About 1962...I remember when the State Fair Grounds was on Stockton Boulevard where the UCD Medical Center is now located. Admission was free and our favorite displays were the Counties Building and the Hall of Flowers. One year they built a two lane bowling alley and some of the West Sacramento locals bowlers were invited to do exhibition bowling during the fair's run. My favorite food booth was the Pronto Pup. The midway was a scene in itself and the carnival barkers and roadies scared the dickens out of us...but we braved it just to ride the "Tilt-a-whirl" and the "Round Up"! We spent the rest of our allowance throwing dimes and would take home various pieces of Carnival Glass for our Mom. When I walk through the antique and collectible shops now I'm shocked to see I see how much they want for those pieces.

Note: Florene Kunder sends this "I tried to find a link to some original fair grounds photos, but not much online. Probably the best source is to visit the California Museum for History, Women and the Arts. .......After graduating CSU-Chico in 1957, I moved to Sacramento in 1959, and attended the State Fair several times before it relocated to CalExpo. Even though the new site was fresh and bright, I preferred the old one. My two favorite exhibits were the Hall of Flowers and the Counties Exhibits. We tried to go on one of the first days before the flowers had wilted too much. Oh, and the High School Industrial Arts displays were remarkable.

....here's the web link to the best source I found in my search today. Map is 1965, and bottom photo is 1956.
Florene

No comments: