Sunday, January 6, 2008

The I Street Bridge Built in 1911


The Historic I Street Bridge is a swing bridge crossing the Sacramento River connecting West Sacramento with Sacramento. I posted the above black and white version because the day I shot the photo, the sky and river basically looked the same color. It seems much more interesting to me now and has the look of an old photo. Below is another version of the I Street Bridge shot the same day posted in color.


On the lower level there are railroad tracks and the upper level is for pedestrian and vehicle traffic. Built in 1911, this historic bridge has a vertical clearance of 14 feet 8 inches and was originally part of State Route 16 (California) and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.See The History of the I Street Bridge written by Frank Norton.
Photos by Barbara

No comments: